Thursday, August 14, 2008

Very, very tired of hemp

Been doing much knitting lately. I had the bright idea to make wash cloths and dishtowels for a friend of mine that was buying a house as a housewarming gift. Simple in theory, right? I mean, they're just small squares. I can knit one of those up in no time! And I'd make them with a really nifty yarn like hemp or something rather than the obligatory cotton because I'm just THAT cool.

So I purchased allhemp 6 yarn in lilac as my friend's favorite color is purple. Found a simple pattern that looked good and got going. Quickly realized that all hemp is very fine, relatively speaking and that if I wanted to actually provide a washcloth that was more yarn than holes I'd have to knit it on smaller needles.

Size 3 needles in fact. Surely you can see where this is going timewise? My original plan was for four washcloths and a dishtowel, provided that I had enough yarn for such. So I knit. And I knit. And it took me three days of excessive knitting to finish one. Whee! So I downgraded it to just four washcloths.

Then I got some more yarn in that I'd ordered for myself. 100% pima cotton (crayon from knitpicks) in purple. And a nifty entrelac pattern for hand towels. Hey, that would be more fun to knit than this boring pattern in this tiny, wirey yarn right?

So I started that. Plan was downgraded to two wash cloths and a dishtowel. Now entrelac was fun. And it seemed to knit up fast. But a hand towel, astonishingly enough, isn't exactly a SMALL square. It's more on the order of half a small scarf. And I'd never done entrelac before. And this was on size 7 needles so not as slow, but not as fast either....

So yeah, she's been in her place for a week and a half and I just finished last night. Go me!

So here's some pictures. I actually have another wash cloth I made for myself that I need to put up too but the picture I snapped sucked on first look so I need to get another.

washcloths

The washcloths. They're actually not as wobbly and weird looking as they look here, they weren't laying at all flat and I was tired. The hemp is interesting, supposed to get softer with use but it feels like plant, if you know what I mean?

entrelac

The towel. It's very soft. I wished I'd had two colors of cotton to use instead of the one because entrelac in one color isn't nearly as impressive but I hadn't, you know, like planned on making this.

I'm taking a break from knitting for at least a week...too many other things have been on the backburner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home