Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Cotton pickin' spindle!

Spinning cotton is hard. The staple length is very short, which means you have to be very careful how quickly you draft the bloody stuff. And I'm doing it on my lightest spindle and the silly thing keeps deciding it's had enough of spinning in the direction I want it to so if I don't keep a very close eye on it I end up with the yarn breaking.

I'm getting some very, very thin singles in places though. I suspect if I was using this spindle with a fiber I was drafting at I could make two ply lace weight with this spindle. I may try that with the next batch of fiber, though I'm already spinning some pretty greyish silver spotted through with reds, blues and purples on my big spindle and I think two spinning projects is about all one fox can handle. Ironically I'd actually like to get thicker singles with the cotton too as the project I have in mind for that yarn wouldn't at all mind bulky yarn.

1 Comments:

Blogger Will Pillage For Yarn said...

Generally you want to spin cotton with a supported spindle. They actually make special cotton spindles called a takli.
http://www.cottonspinning.com/takli.htm

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home